Embedded Software Engineer
Posted by Remy Porter
Pittsburgh, PA, 15206
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic wants you to design, develop, verify, and deploy software code for our lunar landers. You will be responsible for developing unique drivers for flight hardware components, maturing current design, assessing risk and reliability, and working with other subsystem leads to maintain hardware/software compatibility. You will integrate and test with ground and flight systems hardware-in-the-loop environments, write and present technical reports, regularly reporting to the Mission Software Lead on progress.
Note: This position may be filled at multiple levels, including Engineer II, Senior, Principal, etc. depending on the candidate’s experience.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience (or 2 years with a master’s degree) in development of software drivers
- Programming in C, C++, and Python (or similar scripting languages)
- Developing, testing, and debugging embedded software
- Performing software integration and testing, including writing and running unit test code
- Real time deterministic systems in an embedded environment
- Using multiple operating systems and development environments including Windows and Linux
- Full software development life cycle for complex systems
- Working with configuration management tools
- Working within an agile development framework
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledgeable in Failure Detection and Isolation Recovery or fault-tolerant designs
- Experience with communication or I/O protocols, such as CAN bus, RS-232 / RS-422, TCP/IP, or any spacecraft communication protocols
- Experience working with Git
- Experience with containers (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and virtual machines (e.g. QEMU)
- Experience developing hardware and systems for space applications
- Experience developing embedded software and instrumentation for spacecraft systems
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Salary Range: $85,000- $140,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.