Join our Chat
Submit your email address to join our Slack team. Once you submit, an email will be sent confirming your account.
Once you're on our chat team, check out some of our most popular channels.
- #chat: The main room where all kinds of discussion is welcome
- #job-board: Job posts and job solicitation
- #til: (today I learned) fun and useful things recently learned by our community members
- #mental-health: open and friendly discussion about mental health issues
- #lang--python: discuss the Python programming language
- #media--videogames: talk about games, find people to play with
Slack Community Guidelines
We're excited to welcome everyone we can to our Slack community. Here are some general guidelines for you so that we can maintain that welcoming feeling for everyone.
- Our Conduct Policy applies to our Slack team the same as it does our in person events.
- Text based conversations don't have the same intricacies of verbal communication. Assume best intent from the person on the other side of the conversation and take care to word things well and be understanding.
- Job posts are not welcome in the main chat room. We have a #jobs room for that purpose.
- Weekends and evenings can have their lulls in activity. When you first join, hang out for a while and check back often.
- Our community works best when you install the Slack mobile app and add our team.
- The use of "@here" and "@channel" has been disabled for non-admin users.
- If you prefer to use IRC, you can use these instructions (once you've created an account) to connect to our Slack channels via your favorite IRC client.
Chatham House Rule
Some channels operate under the Chatham House Rule in order to encourage discussion of difficult topics. Based on Chatham House's current rule, available at the previous link, our local interpretation is this:
When a channel operates under the Chatham House Rule, participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that of any other participant, may be revealed.
Channels operating under this rule will bear notice in the topic, purpose statement, or both. Additionally, some rooms may have an automated notice displayed periodically to remind participants that the room has this rule. Examples of rooms following this rule are #mental-health and #venting.