Embedded Software Engineer
Posted by Remy Porter
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Astrobotic’s Lunar Surface Systems Department is seeking an embedded software engineer to develop software for our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions on the lunar surface, particularly our lunar rover and power product lines. One of rovers, MoonRanger, will fly to the Moon in Q4 2023 and demonstrate unprecedented autonomy while searching for water on the lunar surface. Another rover will fly to the Moon in 2025 and will demonstrate critical lunar night survival and long range communication capabilities. You will be responsible for designing, developing, verifying, and deploying software code across multiple rover and power product lines; developing unique drivers for flight hardware components; maturing the current design; assessing risk and reliability, and working with other engineering teams to maintain hardware/software compatibility; integrating and testing with ground and flight systems hardware-in-the-loop environments; writing and presenting technical reports, implementing the full software engineering development cycle, and regularly reporting to the Avionics and Software Lead Engineer.
The Lunar Surface Systems Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. The company’s Peregrine lander will mark America’s return to Moon and is scheduled for launch in 2022.
- Working within an agile development framework across multiple concurrent projects
- Working with Git and source control
- Understanding and implementing embedded industrial interfaces and various messaging/communication protocols (RS-422, CAN, SPI, QSPI, I2C, UDP, TCP, WiFi)
- Working with flight avionics and the associated processing units
- Leading small technical teams or serving as a Principal Investigator
- Designing complex software systems, writing requirements and verifications
- Performing software integration and testing, including writing and running unit test code
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience (or 2 years with a master’s degree) in development of software drivers
- Programming in C, C++, and Python (or similar scripting languages)
- Developing, testing, and debugging embedded software
- Real time deterministic systems in an embedded environment
- Using multiple operating systems and development environments including Windows and Linux
- Full software development life cycle for complex systems
- Working with configuration management tools
- Experience with lab test equipment (multi-meters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, analyzers …etc)
- Experience with troubleshooting electrical circuits and components
- Strong understanding and application of embedded processing principles (interrupts, timers, memory management, communication protocols …etc)
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledgeable in Failure Detection and Isolation Recovery or fault-tolerant designs
- Experience with containers (e.g. Docker) and virtual machines (e.g. QEMU)
- Experience developing hardware and systems for space applications
- Experience developing embedded software and instrumentation for spacecraft systems
- Experience with real-time operating systems and processors Salary Range: $85,000- $140,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.