Posted by Sam Garfinkel
Meta Mesh Wireless Communities
Meta Mesh Wireless Communities is looking to hire a Network Engineer to be part of a team responsible for designing, building, and deploying WISP network infrastructure. This role is an essential part of developing and deploying Internet services to underserved communities. The Network Engineer will play an active role in the development of our strategy, architecture, service delivery standards, and best practices. They will be responsible for configuring, installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting wired and wireless network and security devices, and interacting with team members and clients in a professional manner.
A candidate will be able to provide setup and support for Ubiquiti and MikroTik networking hardware and pfSense firewall appliances. They will also need to demonstrate advanced knowledge of network design, routing, switching, wireless, firewalls, security systems, and related services.
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and scaling of a production WISP network.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Develop and implement guidelines for the deployment and management of the network.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network resource administration, appropriate use, and disaster recovery.
- Monitor and test network installations and provide performance statistics and reports.
- Analyze vendor and project requirements to identify networking, routing, and policy needs.
- Document current pfSense firewall configurations, and improve or troubleshoot policies and related routing.
- Troubleshoot existing wireless networks, identify needed improvements and upgrades, and collaborate in new system installation.
- Successfully complete projects, tasks, and evaluate and recommend new hardware, software, and services.
- Work in collaboration with the team and mentor less-experienced staff.
- Provide the technical knowledge and support required to maintain the existing network infrastructure.
- Assisting in project development and planning, acting as lead engineer on assigned projects.
- Advancing knowledge in areas of Infrastructure Design and Management
- Partnering with coworkers to support the network.
- Perform in-house, on-site, and remote network maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Document existing and planned network configurations.
- Establish, maintain and enhance relationships with business and IT partners
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Ability to maintain a 24 x 7 x 365 network infrastructure
- Other related tasks as assigned or required.
- 3 or more years of network engineering and administration experience preferred
- Proven skills in administering routers, switches, firewalls, and access points required
- Extensive L1 through L3 networking experience including wireless required
- Experience with enterprise-level network design, engineering, and administration preferred
- Knowledge of MikroTik RouterOS, Ubiquiti EdgeOS, UISP, and UniFi ecosystems preferred
- Experience maintaining a 24 x 7 x 365 network infrastructure preferred
- Competence in IP routing/switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, IPSEC, GRE, and best practices.
- Network architecture planning, project management, topology deployment, configuration, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Excellent and rapid network troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Familiarity with cybersecurity standards for network management and NIST compliance
- Knowledge of QoS and queueing theory.
- Conversant in IPv6 deployment methodologies, and IPv6 differences from IPv4.
- Strong ability to solve problems and research solutions
- Acute attention to detail and process
- Clear, concise, and effective written and oral communications
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Willing and able to travel (this position requires occasional travel to customer and network infrastructure locations)
Why Work for Meta Mesh Wireless Communities?
Meta Mesh Wireless Communities (“MMWC”) is a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit organization with the mission to bridge the Digital Divide by providing no- or low-cost wireless Internet access to people in need across South Western Pennsylvania. MMWC partners with groups like universities, school districts, other nonprofit organizations, faith-based institutions, and government entities to identify and serve constituents in their communities who do not have reliable or affordable access to the Internet. To fund this work, MMWC receives grants and donations and enters into paid contracts with Sponsoring Entities to cover the cost of build-out and services. This way, individuals in need are not burdened with a monthly bill for service.
We’re a rapidly growing nonprofit WISP, providing Internet to underserved communities in the Pittsburgh area. We strongly believe that everyone deserves Internet access, and are working to deliver it to those who need it most.
We offer a competitive salary, health insurance, flexible work hours, and remote working options. We believe in promoting from within and investing in our employees. Joining our team means being a part of a culture that lives by its core values. Our goal is to make a difference where it counts.
This position will focus on managing specialized work efficiently, with confidence and competence. The position requires above-average attention to detail, concern for the exact correctness of work, and a strong commitment to tasks completed on time. The person in this position will take work seriously, has a strong sense of duty, and be disciplined. The position will generally be task-oriented, requiring someone with a diligent and professional approach to work.
MMWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.