Product Designer, Food Rescue Hero
Posted by Anthony Levin-Decanini
412 Food Rescue
Approximately one-third of all food produced in the world is lost or wasted, while one in nine people is experiencing food insecurity. The production of unused food also generates about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions annually.
412 Food Rescue was founded as a direct response to the disconnect between food waste, hunger and climate change. Through our innovative technology platform, Food Rescue Hero, and partnerships with food retailers, nonprofit organizations, and local volunteers, we transport millions of pounds of healthy food directly to those experiencing food insecurity.
We are seeking a full-time Product Designer to join our Pittsburgh-based team.
We welcome and encourage all applicants to apply, especially BIPOC, LGBTQA+, people with disabilities, people with criminal histories, and veterans.
- Learn about and advocate for the people who use our platform.
- Use ethical and inclusive design methods. Center impacted people in your work.
- Design elegant human-centered experiences for our web and mobile applications.
- Create concepts for new features.
- Assess our product’s existing user experience and propose improvements.
- Collaborate with Product to understand opportunities and align on strategy.
- Translate quantitative data and qualitative insights into hypotheses that inform your design approach.
- Explore visual design treatments.
- Create prototypes to illustrate workflows and explore different scenarios.
- Work closely with Engineering to consider technical constraints and support implementation.
- Present work to stakeholders, explain design decisions, and implement feedback.
- Maintain documentation: design system, styleguide, etc.
Great for people who are:
- Curious: eager to learn, unafraid of complexity, asking smart questions.
- Excellent visual & verbal communicators
- Skilled at refining ideas through feedback cycles, design iteration, and testing
- Holistic systems thinkers
- Picky about details (especially typography and language)
- Organized: work independently, excellent time management habits.
- 1-3 years experience in a product design role
- An outstanding portfolio of design work
- Proficiency with modern design tools: Sketch, Figma, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to social impact work
Nice to have
- UX research experience
- Motion design skills
- Front-end development skills (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Experience with participatory design methods
Compensation & benefits
- Salary range $60-70k, depending on experience
- Health insurance, dental, vision
- Paid time off
- 11 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Professional development resources
Reports to: Head of Product