Software Engineer, Universal Design for Learning
Posted by Carnegie Learning Human Resources
Carnegie Learning Inc
WHAT WE SEEK
At Carnegie Learning, we believe that no two students learn alike. With deep roots in research and advanced educational technology, we learn more every day about how students learn best, and we use that insight to help educators drive continually better outcomes.
We are looking for a versatile research programmer who is able to work as part of an interdisciplinary group to develop and test different approaches within our mathematics software (MATHia) to help students who are struggling readers. MATHia currently adapts to students mathematics abilities; Your work will take into account students reading abilities as well. If you love to learn new things and you are looking to test the limits of what adaptive software can do, this position might be for you.
WHAT YOUR DAY WILL LOOK LIKE
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team including learning engineers, software engineers, researchers and educators to refine and implement ideas for supporting struggling readers using MATHia
- Support field tests of new features, content and approaches
- Build your skillset across a wide range of technologies
- Demo and present prototypes to engineering and research teams
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR BACKPACK
- 3+ years programming experience (Java or similar object-oriented language)
- Outstanding software design skills
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Experience contributing to a large, diverse codebase
- Ability to work with a diverse team, including instructional designers, researchers and software developers
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering related field Nice to have:
- Python or other scripting language
- Front-end programming experience, particularly using Angular
WHAT GIVES US PURPOSE
Carnegie Learning is a leading provider of K-12 education technology, curriculum, and professional learning solutions. With the highest quality, research-based offerings for K-12 math, ELA, world languages, and more, Carnegie Learning is changing the way we think about learning and creating powerful results for teachers and students alike. At Carnegie Learning we strive to create an environment where people want to work - one where the larger team comes first, where trying new things (and sometimes failing) is encouraged, and where we pursue our mission relentlessly.
Carnegie Learning is a major disruptive force in the digital curriculum market by combining world-class research, differentiated technology, best in class content together with a world-class mission-oriented team. This is where you come in! Are you ready to do the best work of your career and shape the future of learning?
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Named a Pittsburgh Top Workplace four years in a row
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Virtual health services
- Basic life and disability insurance offered at no cost
- HSA, FSA, DCSA, and Commuter saving accounts
- 401k with company match
- Employee assistance program
- Pet and Legal services insurance
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Variable compensation opportunities
- Business casual work environment
- Mission-driven culture
- Flexible working hours, leveraging remote capabilities
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We respect and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics, and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to collectively and more effectively address the issues that face our business and industry. Carnegie Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.