Senior Backend Engineer, Ground
Posted by Christopher Brown
Santa Barbara, CA
Umbra Lab, Inc. (“Umbra”) is a technology company that builds next-generation space systems. Umbra is launching an unrivaled constellation of space-based radar satellites with Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) capabilities, to produce all weather day-night imagery with sub-meter resolution for low cost distribution via an integrated web platform. We are a bold, experienced team of developers, engineers, product specialists, and other professionals working to aggressively expand the state-of-the-art for commercial remote sensing.
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer to join the Ground Software team. In this role you will develop cloud-based applications that run Umbra’s satellites and ensure our customers can task our satellites, stay informed on their order status, and receive their imagery in a timely manner. You will work closely with spacecraft operations and systems engineering teams to analyze, build, and maintain solutions that support the advancement of our fully-autonomous tasking and downlink system.
Build, test, and maintain applications that run our satellites and tackle a variety of problems, including automating spacecraft operations, mission scheduling, command and telemetry pipeline, mission data pipeline, and anomaly response… to name a few Provide key software architecture expertise to cross-functional engineering and product teams Help establish practices that ensure that customer and satellite-operational needs are met with quality and performance
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Computer Science, or equivalent experience in relevant discipline
- 5-7 years of programming experience with server-side scripting languages, e.g. Python, TypeScript/Node, Scala
- Strong foundational understanding of software architecture, cloud-based micro-services, interface design, and testing patterns
- Experience with database-backed applications and relational database concepts, preferably Postgres
- Solid understanding of cloud and application security, identity, and compliance required
- Good communications skills, ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, and willingness to learn new skills and technology
- Knowledge of the space vehicle lifecycle, CONOPS, and/or astrodynamics is not necessary but would be great
- Experience developing highly available production API services
- Experience developing Kubernetes/Docker containerized services
- Strong understanding of infrastructure monitoring principles, best practices, and implementation
- Experience with GIS and spatiotemporal asset cataloging and storage with S3
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Umbra is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Flexible Vacation / Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k)
- Stock Options